Author Topic: the Resurrection of Number ten  (Read 2999 times)

iansoady

Re: the Resurrection of Number ten
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2023, 09:54:14 AM »
Good morning Bill (or bonjour as I'm in sunny Brittany!)

The reason I can put images directly is that I have my own web space with a few choice items - mostly used for posting details of bikes I have been flogging. So I can just put in a direct link. This has several advantages including having control over my domain and email as well as my photos but does of course cost.....

I must admit that the removal of pics from older posts is a bit of a hassle if like me you want to look at them - like when I was doing my CX tank fitment to the XBR. It may be worth investigating a way of archiving pics but we are a fairly small select band.

A couple of examples of my pages:

http://www.iansoady.org.uk/Sunbeam/restoration.html

http://www.iansoady.org.uk/hints%20and%20tips/
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2023, 10:03:35 AM »
that makes a lot of sense Ian, and i too have 2 domains of my own, but i have them purely for total control of our email addresses.

i tried posting a pic which worked ok, but when enlarging on my lappy you lose definition & clarity, so i really need to find a way of posting the six A4 scanned images. i could post them attached to 6 separate messages but that seems a bit long winded.

cheers

iansoady

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2023, 10:40:33 AM »
Hi Steve, I have my pages etc hosted by 123reg who seem reasonable (but have just put their prices up). They charge £3 a month (+vat) including 1 domain name and 2 email addresses.

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/web-hosting/
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Steve Lake

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2023, 09:34:16 PM »
i'm going to try and post the wiring diags on here via a (free) hosting site. there are 6 A4's to each diag. so i have posted them as JPG & PDF.
if it works ok then maybe i should put it in a place.... admin please advise
well, that was a big ...failure
sorry, back to the drawing board... watch this space

lets try this

https://stevelake.imgbb.com/albums

sort of works ... let me know if it works elsewhere
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 08:46:35 PM by Steve Lake »

Moto63

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2023, 10:19:21 PM »

iansoady

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2023, 09:29:10 AM »
If you can email them to me I can stick them on my webspace and make them available. PM me and I'll give you my email address.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Steve Lake

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2023, 07:27:52 PM »
hi ian.... i think i've pm'd you ok.

iansoady

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2023, 09:13:25 AM »
Yes, replied.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Steve Lake

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2023, 09:52:10 AM »
well, moving on, having received 1 pair (of 2) stanchions back from HCP (after a lot of hassle... see thread in rants), i have now rebuilt a set of forks and got them fitted, along with the new clipons and associated controls. then the next cockup arose ... i had previously ordered and had fitted, a pair of avons, they look a nice tyre, proof of the pudding will be when we get on the road. i had finished the back end of the bike some time ago, and the front wheel was at the back of the workshop awaiting the fork fitting. so, i come to fit the wheel which went ok then the mudguard which didn't, little or no clearance .... i stand back and look .... it has to be the wrong sized tyre!... bu55er! the plonkers had fitted a 120-80 x 17 instead of 100-80 x 17 ... i'm a plonker as well, not checking when i picked them up. icould see a lot of problems/aggro in getting the local bike shop exchanging it (what/who/when ordered that size etc) so i picked up the correct size from M&P via their ebay shop, arrived the next day, got 'the local bike shop' to remove the 'old' tyre and fit the new one (no they weren't gong to take it back into stock) , wheel fitted, mudguard fitted, starting to look like a bike....
check 'items for sale' for details of an avon tyre :-)

Steve Lake

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2023, 10:00:33 PM »
first ride! ... bit of a shake down, problems found include head bearings need tightening ... understandable as things settle down.
rear brake lever fouling on original lever pivot post. first time i have had to remove original equipment from a frame.. not ideal, cut post off, masked off, undercoat, paint and laquer. bit of a sod to start, this due to a way out of adjustment decompressor cable. brakes are fantastic , well worth the effort of new seals etc. bit fed up with my metal bashers, been waiting for ages for a s/s chain guard, i did check today to see if lack of a chain guard would be an mot fail ... it's not, but will be an advisory not something i want but hey ho.
plug/filters & oil change tomorrow then i can fit a magnetic drain plug. install decals and heel plates .... another metal basher work in progress. really pleased with the forks new seals & bushes &10 grade oil seems about right, but i will soften the back end a notch on the koni's. another week (metal basher permitting) should see the job done.

Ian

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2023, 10:11:34 PM »
Love the colour(s) Steve, riding position a bit extreme for my old bones, which is why I'm altering my SRX (see project for slow progress). It will be great to have 2 SRXs on the stand in October. Well done lad!
1 Speed400 1 C400X -2 thumpers

themoudie

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2023, 12:02:48 PM »
Cracking lookin job there bor!

I too like the colour scheme, info please.

Like Ian, not too sure if my thumbs would cope with the clip-ons for very long. My swan-neck clips-ons on the Duke are comfy, but after about 150 miles the thumbs get a bit achey and stay that way for longer than they used to. I probably could do with them having an extra 2" inches of rise on them.

Sorry that I have no use for the 120-80 x 17. Sally has the 100-80 x 17 in the front and a 120-80 x 18 on the rear and the Mono uses a 110-80 x 17 front, with a 140-80 x 17 on the rear.

The Crane rearset brake lever on Sally has an extra bend in the rear brake lever to by-pass the pivot, rather than taking the grinder to the pivot. However, the Ducati has had the pivot and the cable outer/stoploight switch bracket removed to prevent fouling with the rearset brake pedal. There was/is an alternative set-up that requires a link rod between a new machine lever and revised brake pedal. But being a cheapskate, a homemade pedal and the original cable with a revised cable outer bracket suffice.

Hope the MoT goes OK, and the tester doesn't get picky. Mine can be picky, but is very clear "Why?" and allows me time to sort it without extra charges and does the test while I wait; rather than having to book it in and leave the machine to be assessed at their convenience, so that involves multiple trips and alternative transport.  ::)

Cauli's up to 2.5Kg or 5.5lbs now  ;D a bit short of the 27.5Kg world record by some boy from Nottinghamshire, I think.

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2023, 06:26:41 AM »
aye Bill, well, all ready for the MOT, a few concessions made for legal reasons ;-), original plastic chain guard fitted and correct sized number plate on with a proper job reflector. popped in to see the metal basher yesterday, he had the heel plates done and was in the process of making the rear axle alignment plates ... but had a feeble excuse about s/s sheet grade being hard to get as the reason that it's over 2 months since i ordered the chain guard.
onwards and upwards

oh, i have worked out, that if i need to reinstate the original brake lever i can drill & tap the stump then get my engineer pal to knock me up a shouldered bolt.

themoudie

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2023, 09:33:07 AM »
Aye Steve,

I replaced the last post, with this request please for the paint colour info that you have used on the bodywork. It appears that you have used the Yamaha frame colour that I sent details of, is that correct?

As for stainless steel being "hard to get", maybe it's the price that is making him hold off? I know that you are not doing this yourself, but I have found that my local blacksmith has offcuts that have already been paid for, by the job they were purchased for and can be acquired reasonably for cash; or my local scrap yard often has skips full of catering worktops from kitchen refurbishments. Finally, a washing machine, either clothes or dishes, have nice stainless steel drums and the base when cut out makes a good cowl for the chimney or small sheet items!  ;)

Thank you, Bill
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 07:00:28 PM by themoudie »

Steve Lake

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2023, 07:06:27 PM »
thanks Bill, sorted.
final update. #10 passed it's first MOT (since 2015)  with no advisories. but.... (note to Ian) he was very sniffy about the LED headlight, he'd had quite a few in before and failed most of them because there was no beam regulation. however, mine was fine ( i sensed he was a trifle disappointed :-) ). wasn't too chuffed with the clipons because it tilted the brake master cylinder and the fluid level showed below the 'low' line even though there was plenty of fluid in there, so i adjusted the lever assy up a bit and solved that problem. with the rear wheel off the ground, he detected 3 high spots on the disc, and said it would be a fail if it showed up on the brake test ... but it didn't, brake test perfect on front & back.he then decided that the crappy plastic chain guard was touching the chain, that would be an advisory had i not tapped it with my boot ;-). he then figured the chain tension adjusters were not correct and should be tighter (i always slacken mine off a quarter turn once the wheel is bolted up, a habit inherited from my dad), so he grudgingly let me use his 13mm spanner to tighten them up. ... and with that 40 mins after i arrived (and parting with 25 onecers) i was presented with the MOT. but dear reader, please note the electricery that brings you port & starboard leds, a special feature for thos of a naval bent (& lets face it, most navy types are bent ;-) ) ....
(a prize for the first to spot the deliberate mistake)