Author Topic: Odd symptoms - no idle and mostly no start  (Read 1758 times)

Moto63

Re: Odd symptoms - no idle and mostly no start
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2023, 11:28:07 PM »
. ;D Daft!

Good health, BillR
Aye... possibly, but still entertaining so please don’t stop 👍🥃😉

iansoady

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2023, 11:41:14 AM »
Strange that the screws are seized given that you replaced the diaphragm recently....

I'm sure that this is grannies and eggs but I used to really struglle with the cross-head screws on Japanese bikes till I discovered that they were not Phillips but JIS which have a subtly different profile. Obce I got a set of the proper screwdrivers - which weren't cheap but a Xmas presnt from my dear wife - they very rarely defeat me unless throughly bodged by previous attempts.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Moto63

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2023, 01:32:38 PM »
I don’t think you’ll be the only person on this site to have made that mistake Ian. Think most of us thought they were Phillips stew heads 🤦???🤦???

Itsme

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2023, 07:41:07 AM »
Gentlemen you are both right; the screws weren't seized just wouldn't yield to my ill fitting Philips. A tap with a hammer on the screwdriver did the job and will have to suffice until my wife gets the hint and buys me a nice pressie,

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2023, 12:21:21 PM »
This looks like a decent set at a reasonable price. The ones I have are made by Vessel and although excellent were a bit expensive.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/screwdrivers-and-hex-keys/sealey-4pc-jis-screwdriver-set-453366.html

By the way apologies for my appalling typing recently - suffering from shingles which is quite unpleasant :(
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Itsme

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2023, 04:30:51 PM »
Thanks Ian for the suggestion and I hope the shingles clears up quickly as I believe it is very nasty.

Ian

themoudie

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2023, 12:13:20 AM »
Aye Ian,

Thank you for the Hafrauds link.

Sorry to read that you are suffering from the shingles. Up here once you are 70+ the jag is free on the NHS. Ironically, I attended my surgery for a flu jag and noted the poster on the wall and asked if I might have the jag there and then at 67 years of age. "No", was the answer, so had the flu jag and banter, with the nurse. Next morning I had an itching welt, about 2" x 3" in the middle of my chest and after sending an image to the Doc, he confirmed that I had shingles!  :o Calomine lotion and a silk handkerchief taped over it to prevent rubbing, helped, but the internal pain through my chest to my back was very unpleasant. All in it took about a month to calm down and clear up. I'll be getting the jag next year!

Hope you improve and can be chipper for Xmas/ New Year.

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2023, 11:08:30 AM »
Thanks both. The jab is available in England as well to over 70s - including me - but our local GP practice isn't very good about telling people about such things otherwise I'd have had it. Oh well. What can't be cured must be endured.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

CrazyFrog

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2023, 09:26:41 PM »
Sorry to here this Ian. I can remember my Mom having shingles when she was in her 70's and it was pretty unpleasant. She ended up with neuralgia too as a result of the shingles.
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Itsme

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2024, 09:04:27 PM »
Hi All

If you've read my post about what I've done to try to get my GN250 running you will know that a) I have tried all of the usual suspects for a non-starting bike and b) I have nearly given up on the bike yet again. However I hate being beaten.

I thought as I have tried all the obvious ignition and fuel problem sources I would widen my explorations so I checked the valve clearances. As the GN is a fairly rattly motor I usually set the clearances at the bottom end of their range. I reset the clearances to the maximum specified and I now get a promise of starting! Unfortunately due to multiple attempts at starting yesterday the battery went flat very quickly so it is now on charge.

I'm not confident that I have solved the problem, but this is the nearest I've got to a start in months. If the bike starts I might give it a full strip anyway to make sure everything is as it should be as I would want to know if the valve clearances were the issue for a reason.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Ian

Moto63

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2024, 09:35:56 AM »
I for one Ian will definitely be keeping my fingers crossed 🤞
I’d hate the MM to be shoved in the corner of your workshop under a dust sheet and forgotten about 🤦???.... here’s to a positive result, best of luck 👍
Cheers, Michael

iansoady

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2024, 10:11:34 AM »
There's a saying in Guzzi (and no doubt other) circles that a rattly engine is a happy engine. Loose tappets don't usually cause much harm but tight ones can be the devil.

In other news I now have the neuralgia Pete mentioned so still suffering although better than before. The worst bit is that spending any time in the garage makes it worse......
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Itsme

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2024, 10:31:16 AM »
Hi Ian and Michael. Sorry to hear your health is still being a nuisance Ian and thanks Michael for the good wishes. Sadly I have to report no change whatsoever this morning with a fully charged battery. Whatever I thought I was hearing yesterday just didn't turn into any positive results.

I appreciate your sentiments Michael but I don't think I can pursue this problem any further, at least not for now. Apart from the fact that I am now totally baffled as to why the bike won't start, it has become what my wife terms a time burglar. In other words I have projects that I want to get on with but the MM is taking up all of my time. And of course it is in danger of becoming a money pit.

In a strange way I think it has committed suicide; think about it, it played up on a ride out with my mate, got me home and hasn't run since despite time and money being spent on it. Whatever, it is now covered up until I do or don't get a surge of enthusiasm in the future.

Ian

themoudie

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2024, 11:42:06 AM »
Oh Ian,

Give the poor wee bugger a cuddle from me, cover it up and await some spring warmth, when like a pheonix, it may arise from it's slumbers.  ;)

Yesterday the Boy Bros, which inspite of a carb refurbishment, has always been a reluctant starter after being left cold for a while ( no electric fuel pump, just a microlight diaphragm replacement!) due to fuel evaporation, took its time to fire up! Clean the plugs, re-gap, then afore trying again, heat up the last plug with the MAPX blowtorch to red heat and fire it in!  :o Still a bit dottery, but a wee juggle of the choke and throttle got it fired up, it's a close thing between too much choke and flooding it. You'll crack the MM woes I'm sure.  :)

Good health, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2024, 02:59:20 PM »
Thanks Bill. This is why I love Thumper Club; you give up on a seemingly pointless project and along comes someone with an encouraging word or two and suddenly things don't seem as bad. I know deep down that I love the MM and will never totally give up on it, but sometimes I need to pretend I've had enough to bring me to my senses.

Watch this space!

Ian