Author Topic: Just wondering how stupid I can actually get  (Read 428 times)

Itsme

Just wondering how stupid I can actually get
« on: November 30, 2023, 02:49:14 PM »
I took Newzuki for an MOT today.15 miles down a freezing cold M1 to go to my regular place run by a mate who does a very rigorous MOT so I always know my bikes have a good safety check at least once a year.

Got there pretty cold and had a bit of chit-chat with my mate who then said 'let's get on with it' and that's when it hit me. I had been doing some pre-MOT cleaning yesterday and as part of that had removed the number plate for better access..........you guessed it I had forgotten to re-fit the damn thing. Obviously there was no way Newzuki could be MOTd but fortunately there were no other jobs booked in today so I rode home, re-fitted the plate and went back. MOT success but at the cost of 60 motorway miles in the freezing cold.

No doubt my idiocy will be told to all my bike friends who use the same garage which will at least give them a good laugh.

What's your stupidest thing you've done? Tell all to make me feel better.

Ian

themoudie

Re: Just wondering how stupid I can actually get
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 10:17:05 PM »
Aye Ian,

So, where was the polis to pull you for not displaying an approved number plate?  ;D

Turning up for an MoT, with a rear indicator hanging by a single wire after a trip of 5 miles! Allowed to borrow the tools, fix the broken wire, jury rig the indicator and swear to return with the fault rectified by the end of the working day. Passed! This man is also a stickler for all being present and correct and I have been using him for all the bike and car MoT's for over 35 years now.

Not sure what will happen when he retires? :-\

As for the MM, it's being a bit cantankerous, leave in peace until the warmth returns, with the fuel all drained off, then have a wire wiggle, carb clean session and a new plug. ;)

With temperatures sitting below 3°C all the time and enough brine on the road to re-fill the Dead Sea, all the machines are in the workshop, unless something special comes along or we have a Biblical dose of rain and rise in temperature to remove the clart. At present hauling neeps is the favourite pastime of the farming community and ploughing, followed by a tractor mounted power-brush to work it into the road surface!  >:(  It's a bit skittery!

Good health, BillR

Itsme

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 04:20:12 PM »
Hi Bill

You make some fair points and a lot of sense. I wondered how I could cover so much mileage on the M1 and not get pulled for riding without a number plate. Maybe St Jude (the patron saint of fools and lost causes) was on my side

The MM shares garage space with the bench I use to create what I grandly call sculptures (wood and wire armatures with plaster moulded on) so it is very hard to ignore as I walk past it every time I go to said bench. However this constant looking as I go past may have caused a penny to drop. See update in my post Odd Symptoms etc in Bike Problems section.

Keep warm Bill.

Ian

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 10:30:25 AM »

Ian
Marrying my first idiot wife..... eerr does that count 🤦???😁
Name withheld to protect the bigger idiot for actually going through with it in the first place 🤦???🤷???

Itsme

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 07:37:10 AM »

Ian
Marrying my first idiot wife..... eerr does that count 🤦???😁
Name withheld to protect the bigger idiot for actually going through with it in the first place 🤦???🤷???

Yes Michael it counts as I had one of them too!

Ian