Author Topic: New Mini Thumper  (Read 790 times)

xbally

New Mini Thumper
« on: May 20, 2024, 10:31:58 AM »
I've had the opportunity through a contact of my wife to acquire a new mini thumper...........All being well we shall be travelling to the home counties to pick it up next week. Being very mean given the small size of the bike I'm hoping with or without a little dismantling to get it in the back of my wife's small hatchback, otherwise I'll have to hire a van or pay a courier which I'm loath to do. Pictures will hopefully follow........It's a 1970's Honda which should fit in with my need to slow down during my advancing years.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CRUSADER

iansoady

Re: New Mini Thumper
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 11:35:28 AM »
As long as it's not too slow......
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

xbally

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 01:21:33 PM »
Very true. I only intend to use it on the local country lanes so hopefully it will be OK. Otherwise i might try an electric mountain bike off road as one of my neighbours (who is also a biker) has one and swears by it.

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 06:53:54 AM »
Monkey bike???.... 🤔
Looking forward to seeing a couple of photos Martin 👍
Cheers, Michael

Itsme

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 07:39:18 AM »
All hail the rise of the mini-thumpers!

Ian

xbally

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 11:21:48 AM »
Spot on Michael : ST70. Will post up pics and more info when I can.

Moto63

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 08:16:15 PM »
Wow... brilliant stuff. Our cousin used to have a blue one many moons ago. I used to love the folding handle bars, as a youngster I thought they were just brilliant 🤣🤣
Best of luck with it Martin. Looking forward to seeing some photos whenever you can
Cheers, Michael

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 09:29:43 PM »
Aye Martin,

I too had a Candy Red ST70 back in 1974 and early 1975. The 35 miles from my bothy into Inverness on a Saturday could be eventful, with the engine nipping up after about 20 miles of throttle to the stop, 35mph "cruising"! Gave it 5 minutes to cool and completed the journey, no bother. Frugal on the old 2* fuel, changed the oil every 1,000 miles and that was about it. When going any distance on the gravel hill roads, I always carried a gallon of fuel in a plastic can on the carrier I had fitted.

To get the bike from Hertfordshire to Inverness-shire involved the "usual" trip in the guards van on the overnight train from Euston to Inverness, where the fold down handlebars came in very useful.  ;)

When crewing a Fowler AA7 ploughing engine, at the time, the bars were folded down and the whole bike lifted onto the coal trailer/water bowser for ease of transport and used as a "paddock bike" around the steam rally fields for the weekend.

Ideal for pootering on B, C and U roads and built up areas, stay clear of A roads and anything involving multiple lanes would be my advice, having, after a light shower, approached the Jack Olding's roundabout at Hatfield on the A1 heading south and "lost" the front end on the slick roundabout! I slid nicely in my PVC one piece rain suit into the middle of the multi-lane roundabout, spinning to face a 25 ton artic emergency stopping less than 6' from my legs! :o :o :o :-[  Too close a call! The wee beastie was sold and the money went towards the purchase of a 1953 AJS 18S that would cope with travelling greater distances, on multi-lane roads.

Enjoy it, hopefully modern, high silica compound tyres will make it more stable in the wet. Good health, Bill

xbally

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2024, 08:14:13 AM »
Update for the attention of previous posters / interested parties.....:
We were due to go and pick it up this week as previously posted but have had to put normal life on hold as of a family situation which has arisen .
I've also had to cancel 2 hillclimb / sprinting events I was going to do in my car much to my dismay .
I'm hopeful that the ST70 can at least be picked up sooner rather than later and I'll then at least have a new project to play with as and when.........
Bill thankfully I won't need the St70 for commuting purposes-the thought frightens me intensely-even back in the day. Interestingly I bought a dismantled 50's Matchless G80S (I think) in 1980 from a neighbour which I never did finish or ride due to marriage / mortgage etc - one of my few bike related regrets.

xbally

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2024, 08:24:08 AM »
Due to the above difficulties I've now arranged my usual courier to pick the ST70 on Monday hopefully when I will update you further.

xbally

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2024, 12:49:47 PM »
Ok the ST70 has landed and here are a few pics...............

kevberlin

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2024, 02:46:24 PM »
Nice one Martin.That looks fun.
1983 Honda CB250RS
2023 BMW G310GS
2005 Honda CBF250

Moto63

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2024, 06:46:33 PM »
Wow what a corker Martin. Do you intend to fully restore it or are you simply going to ride whenever you can? Like Kevin says. Looks good fun, if you get as much pleasure out of riding it as I do my little 125 Honda Grom you’ll love it 🤞
Cheers, Michael

xbally

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2024, 08:00:33 AM »
Thanks, not sure what I'm going to do yet.
I think it might be a shame to restore as it's quite nicely patinated.
There's a spark at the plug but the fuel tank is empty. I'm tempted just to put fresh petrol in and see if it will start.
Compression is reasonable at the kickstarter.
I found out from the PO's wife yesterday (unfortunately he's deceased-hence the sale)that he had two of these and this one was kept at their holiday home in France. The other was restored and presumably sold. Perhaps the tank had to be drained to bring it back to the UK?
There's a fair bit of paperwork with it. It's a UK bike (1976 model)but sold in Northern Ireland and has its original NI number which is quite nice. It's registered on the DVLA website as a historic vehicle and registration now transferred to me. It would have been a "R" reg here I think as the date of reg is after 1st August 1976.
I said the the PO's wife I well remember the hot summer of @76 when I was 18 and had my first big bike. Happy and simpler days!
From what I've been told there are wiring issues and there's loads of wiring diagrams with the paperwork but I'm sure my bike mechanic mate will be able to sort that out as I doubt I'm clued up enough. It's only 6 volts. If I ride it on the road I think for safety's sake indicators should be fitted (I've seen models on the net with them) but don't know whether the wiring for them is included in the loom. IIRC my 1973 Fizzie came without them but I got an aftermarket kit which bolted staright on.There's no switch on the bars however.
It definitely needs new tyres and tubes as the front has a puncture and both are Bridgestones which could be the originals as they are cracked on the sidewalls. Apparently tyre change is easy due to the rims being split to come apart and I've already looked and there seem to be a good selection of reasonably priced scooter tyres (10 inches I think).

kevberlin

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2024, 11:15:33 AM »
I agree that it would be a shame to restore it and lose its originality Martin.
It’s only original once.
I bet it starts with fresh fuel😂
1983 Honda CB250RS
2023 BMW G310GS
2005 Honda CBF250