Author Topic: New Mini Thumper  (Read 791 times)

themoudie

Re: New Mini Thumper
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2024, 11:40:30 PM »
PLEASE change the oil BEFORE starting and put some oil down the bore, kick it over, with the spark plug out and then with a 50:1 two stroke oil mix in the tank, give it a try. I've seen good motors wrecked due to over enthusiastic "Must hear it run and revving, before any preparity work, or time to warm through!  :'( :'( :(

I too would give it a clean and leave well alone, once the wiring, tyres, tubes etc are sorted. As for tyres, I think compounds have come a long way since 1976, so it should stick to the road better than my experiences.

All the best with the wee beastie Martin and good health, Bill

xbally

Re: New Mini Thumper
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2024, 07:51:46 AM »
Thanks for all interest / advice.

Ok Bill I'll do as you recommend. Gives me some more time to do hopefully easy jobs on this bike. I've got some 2T oil from one of my abandoned project s (HOnda H100) and the Suzuki GT185 I had a couple of years ago and the oil is not old.

I shall be giving it a very thorough clean and have replaced some of the rusty fixings with OE types as near as I can get for the time being.

I've also tentatively polished some of the chrome and alloy with Solvol.

There's loads of stuff on Ebay / the 'net and I found a UK parts supplier with very comprehensive spares stocks in Banbury which is not too far if I wanted to visit them for a trip out / shopping list. I know a lot of the spares will be after-market and some of dubious quality however. As is usually the case NOS parts are ridiculously expensive.

So at the moments it's : battery, tyres and tubes, maybe a headlamp rim, indicators and switchgear to accommodate them and an air filter element. I seem to recall these models have the centrifugal oil filter which needs a special tool IIRC?

I inherited a load of literature off the PO's wife and have ordered the small Honda models so called "bible" for my research s although it's early days - all's going well. I've also got cash in my pocket from the CGT535 sale should I need it but.......I will keep a restraining hand on how much I spend.

It would be interesting Michael to compare notes on how these old models compare with their more modern cousins.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CRUSADER