Author Topic: ST70 Re-Commission The Fun Begins  (Read 2010 times)

Ian

Re: ST70 Re-Commission The Fun Begins
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2024, 10:45:36 PM »
Now that Streetbike has gone bust, I did hear a whisper that Triumph were "actively looking" for a replacement dealership to replace Streetbike in a similar area. It may well be BS but I can only say I have had nothing but good service from Triumph whatever bike I have had.
BTW, I love my Speed400 very light and manoeuvrable compared to my previous Street Twin. I know I had original iffy software which has now been updated and (fingers crossed, touch wood etc etc etc) it has been superbly reliable. Just a few thoughts.....
On a very slight downside, I see the price of the Speed 400 & 400X have both gone up by £200 since I bought mine.
1 Speed400 1 C400X -2 thumpers plus one!

Moto63

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2024, 07:59:59 AM »
Martin. Royal Enfield have just brought out a new 400 model. Water cooled so not an Himalayan in fancy clothes. It’s called the Guerrilla. Looks nice. Thought maybe if you have a local Enfield dealer near by might be worth a look/test ride.
Cheers, Michael

xbally

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2024, 09:00:47 AM »
Thank you all for the info , comments and encouragement.
Michael - I saw the new RE yesterday in an email I got from MCN. We do have a local dealer (QB) who I try to support. In fact I got the Michelins for the ST70 from them as well as a few other spares and consumables. I was in there on Tuesday buying 6v bulbs and the like and they always have plenty of demonstrators and new models to tempt prospective buyers.
I've been looking at reviews of the Speed 400 and at the moment this is where I'm inclined to go.
I'll need to sell at least one of my bikes-the ST70-being the obvious one. I had constant irritating low speed  problems with my Ducati Monster 750 in the almost 4 years since I've owned it and this would be the other bike to let go maybe. It's a shame as it's such a brilliant bike on the back roads- very light for a 750, sticks to the road like glue and enough power for overtaking. I was looking online and there's a group -  Pidcocks I think it was - with both a Triumph and Ducati franchise so I wonder if I could trade in the Monster for a Speed 400? Just a thought.
On paper the 400 Triumph seems ideal for my changing ( aging) needs.
Like you Michael I don't ride at the speeds I used to (thankfully).
I put the ST up on Ebay so will wait to see what happens.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CRUSADER

iansoady

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2024, 10:15:44 AM »
I bought my Tiger 955i from a Triumph dealer in Stratford but don't know whether they're still around. I have to say their workshop was dreadful: "They all do that sir" being the typical response to problems I identified and which were definitely there. Some I believe actually caused by them.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

xbally

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2024, 11:11:45 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Sounds pretty typical of some of the motor cycle trade!

I seem to recall years ago there was a Triumph dealer in Redditch. A friend bought a new T955i from them with a good discount IIRC.

The nearest I can find at the moment is in Tamworth but I think there may be a tie up with Sutton Motorcycles (Honda dealers) in Bromsgrove?

kevberlin

1983 Honda CB250RS
2023 BMW G310GS
2005 Honda CBF250

xbally

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2024, 07:02:11 AM »
Thanks Kev, that bike looks ideal.....and as you say not a million miles away and in a nice part of the world.
Update on the ST70 : only one interested party who has made  an offer so far which we are still negotiating on but it doesn't look very hopeful at the moment .He says he's looking at other bikes which of course he's perfectly entitled to.
My intention was to book a test ride at the Triumph dealer in Stratford upon Avon but I haven't yet as I want to have at least sold one of my bikes before I do. After what Ian has said I don't think I'd be inclined to buy from there anyway.
I know it's a waiting game and patience is a virtue!

Moto63

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2024, 08:01:48 PM »
Shame he’s not looking for a 1970’s ST70 Martin instead of a classic 125. May be worth an ask. Don’t ask you don’t get. Or so I’m told 🤷???
Cheers, Michael

xbally

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2024, 01:38:31 PM »
Well I've just called in at QB Motorcycles my local Royal Enfield dealer and registered my interest in having a test ride on the Guerrilla 450which is due out shortly. They have offered me a reasonable part ex on the ST70 so if I can't sell for more privately I should be able to do a deal when I've sold one of my other bikes. I'm still interested in the Triumph so I will see what happens.

Moto63

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2024, 03:42:34 PM »
Well I've just called in at QB Motorcycles my local Royal Enfield dealer and registered my interest in having a test ride on the Guerrilla 450which is due out shortly. They have offered me a reasonable part ex on the ST70 so if I can't sell for more privately I should be able to do a deal when I've sold one of my other bikes. I'm still interested in the Triumph so I will see what happens.
My fingers are crossed Martin, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the new 450 Enfield if you have a test ride on one
Cheers, Michael

xbally

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2024, 07:41:05 AM »
No developments I'm afraid. No movement on the ST70 and still waiting to hear from QB regarding the test ride of new RE model.

Moto63

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2024, 01:50:20 PM »
Surprised to hear that Martin. I would have thought there’d be folk queuing up to buy the ST 🤔🤔 fingers crossed 🤞

xbally

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2024, 06:37:58 AM »
Thanks Michael. Well nearly a 1000 views and over 50 watchers but no real interest. Looking at prices they vary widely. Some are asking over £5K for apparently pretty much the same bike whereas one sold on Fleabay in an apparently similar condition for about £1800. I hear the used bike market is all over the place so it may be a reflection on that. Who knows.
Just as a distraction I was out on my Ducati Monster on Friday when one of the silencers fell off! Couldn't find it despite looking everywhere and walking the dog down the offending lanes and trying to avoid being run off the road by passing motorists!

xbally

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2024, 12:31:08 PM »
ST70 now sold.......
Haven't heard anything about the new RE 450 demonstrator and am getting fed up with the inaction so I'm going to look at a 250 Crusader locally this afternoon. It's a trip down memory lane for me as I ran one as a second bike in the heady summer of 1976 when they were 15 year old runarounds that could be bought for next to nothing.