Author Topic: The reality is ...  (Read 416 times)

Ian

The reality is ...
« on: July 13, 2024, 05:43:41 AM »
Hi all, I don't log on here as often as I used to for whatever the reasons. However I get a funny feeling that the TC has sort of run it's day. Perhaps I'm being cynical? Or is it that I'm not on FB?  I'm sure someone will be along soon and put me right. Ian R
1 Speed400 1 C400X -2 thumpers

iansoady

Re: The reality is ...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 09:28:23 AM »
It is quiet but does go through these phases. Perhaps everyone's out riding their bikes? And I have no thumper updates at the moment...
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

kevberlin

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2024, 10:36:54 AM »
It’s not a busy site, but if I needed advice this is the first site I’d come to.
I also like the fact that chatter is mostly confined to motorcycles rather than being widened to include all of life’s matters and paraphernalia.
I’m another one who doesn’t do Facebook and similar media.
I’d be sad to see it go.
1983 Honda CB250RS
2023 BMW G310GS
2005 Honda CBF250

xbally

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2024, 01:36:46 PM »
Me too. I only inhabit a few forums and have never done social media. I don't want to see posts about what's going on in the so called real world - which I can tune into by many other means but which I find so depressing these days
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CRUSADER

themoudie

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2024, 11:33:16 PM »
Aye Ian,

Out wearing the bikes out!  ;D  Tyres, steering head bearings, chains and sprockets, all getting to the end of their days, on at least two bikes!  ::)  So, lots of spannering as well.

Where's the update on the Trumpet, after a 1,000 miles or more?  ;)

Then there's the garden, firewood, chattering on here, shopping for groceries, DIY 'bout the place, eating tasty grub, taking the dear wife away for a few days, enjoying a beer and a "Leapfrog" and ........  :o

I know it has been a bit quiet, but you'd miss your Stafford fix etc. if it weren't here?  :(

Good health to all and keep wearing them out, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2024, 07:23:40 AM »
For me TC is quality not quantity. I always receive quality help if I ask a question and like to read intelligent, well informed comments about bikes as others have said. I suspect there are quite a few Thumperteers who don't use the forum necessarily but are interested in what goes on. Whenever I have been to a TC rally or meet up I see people who don't appear on the forum but seem very involved with thumping around.

As others have said, particularly Bill's excellent description of life generally, there are lots of miles to enjoy this time of year rather than spending time on a keyboard.

Long may TC remain.

Ian

Good thread this as it has got us talking in a quiet time.

Moto63

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 10:01:30 AM »
Morning all. Just catching up as we’ve been down in a very sunny and warm Spain for the last 10 days. There I feel is also a partial reason behind the lack of posting recently upon this most excellent of sites. THE WEATHER....
 It’s been dreadful so far this year, so possibly folk don’t have much to report Ian as most of them have simply been stuck indoors 🤷???
I think Ian hit the nail on the head, as he usually seems to do 😉
It’s “Quality NOT Quantity” (as I constantly remind my darling wife😉)
Be defo sad to loose another member, oh and if it’s of even the slightest importance. I NEVER have and I NEVER will use Farcebook (or anything similar for that matter)
Oh.. and just one final note. This very forum helped to keep me going and remain positive during my pretty extensive recovery period after my accident.
Cheers, Michael

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2024, 09:16:24 PM »
Hi all, I for one regularly keep up to date on the site. I was here at the beginning and continue to support the single cylinder motorcycle ethos.
I have an SRX6 which I will shortly be recommissioning, my preferred bike is my 09 XT660Z Tenere which I will be found tramping up and down the country going to camping meets.
i also have a Suzuki SV650TX which I hope to trade in for one of the new generation CF Moto 450MT, yeah I know its Chinese and a twin, but I'll keep the SRX and XT660 for the foreseeable future.
I also regularly meet up with quite a few past members of the original Thumper Club, many still riding single bikes, but those original members fragmented from the current forum.
I also organise a meet up at Goathland for the ABR club amongst others, ie the Harley riders club etc which brings together riders from all spectrums.
Any on this forum are more than welcome.
I run it 27th to 29th Sept. we will have a Hog roast and fire pit, traditional bike meet, camping and beer and banter, plenty of tyre kicking.
If it will also keep interest up I will keep posting my endeavour to get the 'LUD' (bet some of the older members will remember it!) back up and running as I sold it, but bought it back, it has been stood for the last 10 years without fuel in and has corrosion inside the tank. I have have her fired up, but the tank needs cleaning first. I have in mind to use Molasses!
........and yes Im old school, and old (68 next) ;D
Keep posting.

Steve

PS If you want to see 'LUD' search on the Thumper Club stand at Stafford, 'HIGH TECH, LOW TECH, NO TECH'

Oil Enfield, Honda Dominator and Lud, KTM620 and SZR
If I'm not working I'll be away on my bike camping!

themoudie

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2024, 11:33:30 PM »
Aye SteveD,

Good to read from you again and pleased that you are still stravaiging and have re-acquired LUD!  ;)

As for
.......and yes Im old school, and old (68 next) ;D
Been there and I suspect there are others lurking here who are likewise, so congratulations and keep doing it! It obviously agrees with you.  ;)

Did you attend the meet up near Bunessan, Isle of Mull earlier this year? I chanced across 2 Welshmen stocking up on Tobermory Single Malt, at the distillery afore they rode to the site, I apologise for forgetting their names, and was informed that Jethro was accompanying them. I had seen a loud RE Himalayan, at speed, heading out of Tobermory main street, up the brae, afore meeting them and can only assume that Jethro got lost, didn't know about the visit to the distillery and had just headed off to the site. Shame, would have been good to get the craic. Please pass on my regards, if and when you next cross paths.

As for the re-commisioning of LUD, SteveL also of this Parish may have parts if you require, but I'm not sure about fuel tanks? He may also have practical experience of cleaning tanks that so far I have managed to avoid, due to draining, drying and then ACF50 application, when being laid up.

My "Sally" from Jim Murdoch is in dock at present and requiring a "top end" rebuild and I hope that is all. Jim Murdoch is still about, but on Pussbook, so many will not know or recall him from the early days.

The Mono SRX400, with XT600E engine fitted, is bearing the brunt of the miles, as the Duke 450 MKIII is awaiting taper bearing head race cups being machined.

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2024, 08:58:22 AM »
68 old? what about 75......
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2024, 09:49:24 PM »
Yes Bill, I was at the Mull meet, must have missed you by minutes as I was in the main street in Tobermory checking out the 'stock'.
Twas a great meet, could have been Jethro on the Noisy Himalayan or another 'Timbo' with a very fruity silencer. Weather was typically Scottish, but the craic excellent and about 15 of us turned up. If you still camp I will inform you of future events as we hope to do the same again next year.

I went over to Steves' last year to exchange some aftermarket rearsets for the standard ones.
The tank is as when I sold the 'LUD' some 16 years ago. I sold my DR750 and the SRX to get a brand new Yamaha XT660Z which I still have, 65K miles now.
SRX is in pretty good shape and the tank is also as I had just had a rather nice standard paint job done on it, just the corrosion which I plan to extract with the molasses, hopefully. Then recommission. I think the old bones can still bend that far!...................and I never had a problem starting it.        watch this space.
I do read the messages on this forum regularly but have nothing to contribute, I do, however enjoy some of the posts and the exploits of the community.
Hope to add more now that I have a focus and 'LUD' for company.

Stay safe and I will be in touch when I'm next in the area.

Steve
If I'm not working I'll be away on my bike camping!

themoudie

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2024, 10:22:06 PM »
Aye SteveD,

I've met both Jethro and Timbo on earlier, separate occasions and the beard was the giveaway for it being Jethro!  ;)  I was returning home from a week on the Isle, with Kat and not camping, or riding a motorcycle, so unable to join the fray.

All the best and good health, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2024, 08:57:01 AM »
SteveD I remember the Yorkshire Racing Gold XTZ!

This is a brilliant thread, just look at all the names and events that have been mentioned. It certainly makes me want to get more involved with going to see other members. A few years ago I had a brilliant day out with Michael and his brother Andrew and friends up in God's own county and it makes me wonder why I've been too lazy to arrange another.

Speaking of past members, I went to a local bike night in Pinxton, a village in North Notts just 5 mins away from me, last night and am almost certain Trevor (TJ63) was there. I saw a bloke on an Enfield Interceptor who I think was Trevor but we managed somehow to avoid each other all night. If he's there next week I will talk to him.

Keep up the good work.

Ian

Moto63

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2024, 11:23:11 AM »
Ian. Great to hear you enjoyed your outing with myself, big bro and our mate Robert. We too still talk about it now. We also thoroughly enjoyed our “guided”  tour a few yrs back with Bill whilst we were north “t” border
However I/we are as much to blame for not repeating it though, you certainly can’t take all the blame. SO..... to try and rectify things. I am personally inviting you up to do a “mini” tour of the yarkshaa dales with us once again. If you can fit it in at any point and fancy it just let me know and I’ll try and tie a date up that suits us all. Be great to catch up again and we can show you just about every single farm gate within the yarkshaa dales. As since big bro’s prostrate op he has to make fairly regular stops upon any given route we take. He’s even thinking of writing a booked, titled “farm gates of the yarkshaa dales”  🤣🤣
Let me know how your fixed 👍
Cheers.. Michael

Itsme

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2024, 07:46:13 AM »
Now that is an offer I won't refuse. As I am now retired I am free just about all the time so if you send some dates I will select one and come and join you. I know how important farm gates, hedges, side roads etc are to those of us who have been around the planet a good few years. As someone once said - 'when you're young you pick a destination and go, when you are old you go then pick a destination'. How true.

Ian