Author Topic: Getting back to thumpers....  (Read 492 times)

iansoady

Getting back to thumpers....
« on: July 17, 2024, 10:13:36 AM »
... after a failed attempt to start the little Yamaha - I think it's cursed - I decided to take the Bouzouki out for its first shakedown run of about 20 miles. First impressions - that Zuki engine is damned powerful and I can see why its donor DRZ is such a wheelie machine - I had to be very careful not to loft the front wheel.

Power came in quite smoothly from 3000 rpm or so with a definite kick at 5K+.Gear lever set too low so hard to change up, as is the brake pedal but these are details. I didn't explore the handling. I had feared the front tls brake would be too fierce but it proved fine - although wouldn't want to grab it too hard.

All in all very pleased with my spur-of-the-moment purchase.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Moto63

Re: Getting back to thumpers....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 03:59:07 PM »
Hi Ian. All sounds very promising for you to move forward with it as you tweak it to your liking 👍
Cheers, Michael

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 10:34:02 PM »
Aye Ian,

Your SVR has put me off acquiring one them, though I still see the visual attraction, if not a practical machine to use and maintain.

The DRZ engine sounds interesting and that could provide some quizzical looks as the old BSA rips past!  :o I'm glad the spur-of-the-moment purchase has proved a useable one, so far.

Looking forward to reading more updates.

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 09:03:57 AM »
Bill - the fact the Yam wouldn't start probably protected me from another ignominious return home in a van! I'm wondering if it wouldn't go because it was on the prop stand hence leaning to the left when I tried. The carbs are on the left of the inlet ports so this could result in a weak mixture. I've experienced the same with Amal monoblocs with the float chamers on the left. It's started successfully several times in the garage but then it was on the centre stand. Plus of course the battery might be a bit tired after all those starts......

Clutching at straws I know. I will get to the bottom of it but it's in the naughty corner for the time being.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

themoudie

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 10:04:15 AM »
Aye Ian,

Maybe the sidestand "Safety" switch!  ;)  They can be a right pain!

Just have to get in the habit of starting on the centre stand, or getting seated afore using the starter.

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2024, 11:15:36 AM »
Driving me mad! Went in the garage and tried to start on the prop stand. It did what it did yesterday, coughed once each time. Then put it on the centre stand and it started.....

So you may be right. It's normally parked on the centre stand so I could start it the garage & let it warm up before riding. I have to say it doesn't seem to like the choke and I have an idea the choke plungers will be past their best as the O rings on the needle seats were. I wonder if I can get new ones?

It is a shame as when it is going it's a very nice little bike as well as being very pretty.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

themoudie

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2024, 02:40:49 PM »
Aye Ian,

Don't forget the engine is the same as used in the Virago XV250, insofar as I am aware. So carb parts listed for the XV250 may be suitable.

I have always used NRP for carb spares, here is the link:

NRP-carbs.co.uk

I have also had a look at the Fowler's spares site and come up with this exploded diagram/parts/prices list and for item No.13 "Starter set #
3DM-1410A-10 Replaces 3DM-1410A-01" the price is £67.67inc. VAT and they have "No stock"!

Link to Fowler's page:

XV250-Virago-3dm5-1991-010-c/carburettor

I had similar problems, with the choke plungers on both the SRX's and new ones cured the problem. The Honda Bros has always been cantankerous to start and even with new choke plungers, it can still be a bit "cold blooded", however, it is water-cooled and that might make a difference.

Hope this helps? Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2024, 03:21:48 PM »
Thanks again Bill. The Virago has a single carb and the SRV twins so quite a lot (more than I thought!) is different. I did find a very useful forum thread on fixing and cleaning the carbs on an XJ forum: https://www.xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=668&start=10 as these use the same carbs although probably with different jets etc. It's an odd design with the choke tube vertical and the damper assembly etc horizontal so a change in attitude is likely to have an effect.

Anyway. I did leave it running on the centre stand for 10 minutes and it seemed OK. However, the throttle stop screw seemed to do very little which reinforces my view that it's probably at least partially running on the chokes. There's plenty of slack in the throttle cable so it's not holding the butterflies open.

I'll see if the choke plungers are available before stripping everything once again. I've had good stuff from NRP although I got a rebuild kit - O rings, float needles and jets etc - from an ebay seller for a bargain £15 or so.

Too hot to do anything more today.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

iansoady

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2024, 09:05:14 AM »
I've found a couple of plungers on ebay for a few quid (off a Divvy but the same part numner) so have bought them to see what happens. There's also an ebayer who offers to fit Viton pads to the plungers for £15 + postage apiece - something I may consider in the future. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254873112045

No new parts available from anywhere as far as I can see.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

themoudie

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2024, 12:58:13 PM »
Aye Ian,

That all sounds positive.

You too can purchase Viton sheets of varying thickness and dimension on eBay and use a wad punch to make your own pads for the enrichment plungers.

I purchased some sheet and then used a wad punch and a leather punch to make Viton fuel tap seals for the Ducati's Italian taps. 12,000 miles  and so far so good.

The unavailability of Yamaha machines more than 30 years of age is becoming a problem and the EU dictat that spare parts only need to be available for up to 10 years after manufacture of an item has compounded the issue. Added to which the postage/Customs Duty/ VAT relationship that the UK has with Japan, means that the likes of Jauce (Japan's Yahoo equivelant to eBay) spare parts purchase is now prohibitively expensive.

Where there's a will there's a way!

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2024, 11:47:17 AM »
OK, new plungers have arrived and I've taken the old ones out. Despite being the same part umber thyre actually a bit different - the operating fork engages with a nylon bush on the old one, there's no provision for this on the new. However I think I can get it to work but putting a grommet in place.....

The old plinger:

and the "new" one: much better.

and the old & new showing differences and grommet:

Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

iansoady

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2024, 03:36:19 PM »
OK so that seems OK - but then I lost one of the little nylon bushes that the choke actualtion rod slides in. Tried to make one out of plastic but no good so turned down and bored an old 5/16" stud. Spot the difference:

Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Itsme

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2024, 06:44:14 AM »
Lovely bit of work that Ian. Amazing how creative one has to be when running an old bike, but surely that is the fun.

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2024, 09:05:22 AM »
Yes indeed but sometimes fun is not the word I'd use! I've had these carbs off & on so many times I just have to look at them and they pop off and onto the bench. Well nearly....
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

iansoady

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2024, 02:25:03 PM »
All buttoned up and now starts on the choke which is actually doing something now! I need to sort out slow running - have left it with the screw just touching the abutment as a reference point - but have left the battery on charge so may actually ride the beast tomorrow.......
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250