Author Topic: Getting back to thumpers....  (Read 491 times)

Moto63

Re: Getting back to thumpers....
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2024, 05:55:18 PM »
Fingers crossed for you Ian. Hopefully the weather will also be on your side 🤞👍
Cheers, Michael

iansoady

Can he fix it?
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2024, 02:07:10 PM »
Can he buggery.

I thought I was home & dry - the Yam started on the button, even on the side stand and ran very nicely. So nothing ventured set out on the highway. All was going well till I'd done a dozen miles or so when it started missing at higher revs. Feels like petrol starvation I thought so put it on reserve just in case. No improvement. So stumbled back home fortunately just before the rain started. I'm convinced it's carburation but that probably means it's ignition......

Never mind I'm sure I'll get there eventually. One thing I did notice was that the indicators seemed a bit dim and slow flashing when I was out but are OK now. It'll be worth taking all the connectors especially to the CDI unit apart and checking them as well. I suppose it could be my cheapo reg/rec but can't see how that could be affecting engine running.

On the plus side it did start well after coming to a halt. And was a pleasant ride to start with.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

themoudie

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2024, 11:08:13 PM »
Aye Ian,

Seems as though the v-twins are being cantankerous!   :(

Having fitted new tyres, new sprockets and chain, new fork ATF, cleaned the brakes and given the old bird a general de-clag, today was the day to give the Bros400 a canter to see if all was well. So, with me on the SRX600 Mono and Kat on her beloved, we set off to Lochearnhead, Killin, Kenmore, Aberfeldy, Glenalmond, we got to within 4 miles of returning home, when the engine stopped!  :o No lights, no starter, NOTHING! Walked back to my stranded spouse, turned the ignition "OFF", selected neutral, turned ignition "ON" producing two glow worms, oil light and neutral light, but nothing else.

We have been smelling a sulphurous smell on the past 3 runs and this time I could smell it whilst following the Bros. Similar to crude oil and thought it might be some manky old oil, but I'd cleaned that all at this last service and it was really strong.

Nothing for it but a call to my local workshop for the van of shame! ??? :-\  I sat on a garden wall and pondered the Bros, whilst Kat rode the SRX home. Van of shame arrived and we had a brief discorse, "regulator/rectifier", we agreed on. Unloaded the "stinkbomb" and I whipped the seat off to see the battery reference and ........ WTF!!!***8??????? No wonder we had been smelling sulphurous fumes. With great care, we removed the time bomb (See attached images.), afore it went "BOOF!". You can see where the casing was parting, with the heat and gas pressure!  ::) ??? ::)

Thankfully, Kat avoided a fire/exploding hot acid bath. A new battery has been purchased from the local workshop and a new Electrex regulator/rectifier is in the post.

ADDENDUM 2024-07-25: The last Motobatt lasted 7 years before failing, in a similar manner, with an apparent internal short circuit. This Motobatt was its replacement and had been performing well. It is my belief that the old, 36 years and over 100,000 miles, regulator/rectifier failure caused the overcharging.

We can't complain, with over 100,000 miles under the wheels, but it was a close call. Tyres last 11,500 miles on the front and 6,500 miles on the rear, whilst the chain and sprockets managed 14,000 miles, before the front sprocket became lairy.

Hopefully, you can crack this SRV "Gremlin"?

Good health, Bill
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 09:18:29 AM by themoudie »

Ian

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2024, 06:50:19 AM »
Wow Bill, now that is a close call 😱. I have never had or seen anything like that. MotoBatt are supposed to be the "beesknees" unless someone comes along and tells me otherwise. I have used them on several restos. But as you say that's some mileage covered. Did you replace with same make?
1 Speed400 1 C400X -2 thumpers

Itsme

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2024, 08:34:18 AM »
Hi Bill

It certainly looks like that has been over-charging. I have used Moto-bat batteries a lot and haven't had any problems so far touch wood. The only time I have seen anything like that was when I risked charging our lawn mower battery with my auto battery charger, I won't be doing that again in a hurry!

Good luck in sorting things out both to you and Ian.

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2024, 08:53:38 AM »
That is scary and I agree huge overcharging. I am led to wonder whether the cheap reg/rec I've fitted can have any relevance to my problems.

Anyway, I'm going to leave the Yam alone for a while and sort out the ergonomics on the Bouzoukiso I can at least get some trouble-free(?) riding in.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250