Author Topic: Trumpet update  (Read 249 times)

Ian

Trumpet update
« on: July 17, 2024, 10:21:57 PM »
As requested by Bill here is an update on the new Triumph Speed400, purchased in February, delivered in May. Mileage covered 1260 as of 14/07/24
As previously recorded, software now up to date but not untill Triumph were reminded of their responsibility to supply a working bike. After first 600 mile service, bike performs faultlessly.
Additions/changes/modifications as listed below in no particular order:
Radiator protector fitted.
Rear wheel spindle tapped and bobbins made and fitted.
Gear lever extended.
Givi rear rack and toolbox fitted.
Black Rental bars (ex black/gold SRX)fitted slightly narrower than original Triumph ones but more comfortable for me.
Larger bar end weights made and fitted.
Headlamp ring and brackets along with injector covers sprayed Satin Black.
Gidibii Nemo chain oiler fitted.
Several different size/style rear view mirrors trialled but have gone back to Triumph originals (for now).
Rear sprocket changed (520 x 40T blank obtained & machined to suit- no alternatives are available as yet in UK)
Original ratio was 15/43, now 15/40. Top gear runs about 500rpm lower but torque still remains very useable.

I'm now making a better chain guard to help protect bike etc from excessive oil throw, I need to get this aluminium welded before painting and fitting.
I plan to remove the rear monoshock and make a different spacer to reduce seat height very slightly. I need to know relevant dimensions first tho.
This may sound quite a lot but the devil is in the details.
The bike is an absolute pleasure to ride, it handles beautifully and the 398cc engine is a real gem.
Changing the sprocket has very slightly reduced torque by about 5% but this is not really noticeable in its performance
All in all a cracking albeit quite revvy thumper.
Ian
PS, my old SRX is now sold from the dealership that I used for the transaction
I will add photos as and when I can ( I'm on hols at time of writing in IOM)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 10:32:20 PM by Ian »
1 Speed400 1 C400X -2 thumpers

themoudie

Re: Trumpet update
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 10:26:05 PM »
Aye Ian,

Thank you for your comprehensive update on the Trumpet, reads as though you have finally found something that suits, inspite of the mods you are undertaking. Have a grand time on the Island, I hope the weather bides fair.

Good health, Bill

Ian

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 10:46:41 PM »
Forgot to add Pyramid Fender Extender fitted. However it didn't fit correctly. Got in touch with Pyramid Plastics and they admitted they knew of the issue of their extender catching the tyre. Why sell a faulty item then? New one under development and hopefully a replacement will be delivered in about 4 weeks. Ah well.....

Ian

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2024, 10:48:34 PM »
New sprocket and bobbin fitted.

Ian

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2024, 10:51:44 PM »
Fender extender fitted with added mudguard brackets fitted

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2024, 06:31:39 PM »
Hi Ian. I don’t how but I missed this thread and just read it all. As usual the jobs you’ve carried out are to a cracking standard, did you turn up the paddock stand bobbins yourself? If so they look superb 👍. Glad to hear that you like the bike and the characteristics of the engine, it sounds a little bit like my old 400ktm duke (which I still regret selling 🤦???) that too had to revved but was a lovely little bike.
I would definitely consider going for a 400 triumph, probably go for the scrambler version. Maybe in a year or two.
Anyway like I say glad you’re enjoying it and please keep us updated in the coming weeks
Cheers, Michael