Author Topic: bleedin'bugger' naffing srx!  (Read 2166 times)

levers

bleedin'bugger' naffing srx!
« on: August 01, 2006, 10:07:51 AM »
After 14 bleeding months of trying to rebuild a shagged SRX600, I thought I was done. It looks lovely and shiny, everything was working, and MOT was booked.
Then this morning I get it out, starts up first kick, then away I chug for about 200yrads then pop, it stops. Kikc  kick kick kick etc etc.. nothing. The booms into life and we're off again. stop for  fuel, same thing when I try and start it, chug off again to the bike shop. We get there but the bike is smoking around the cylinder head, and I see tha gasket has bloody blown!!!
Can I be a***d to strip it down again!! At the moment no.
Can anyone tell me is this a quick job, as my patients has almost run out!!!
Frustrated and miffed,

levers

http://www.thumperclub.com/displayphoto.php?&index=26&set=competitionentries&menu=Competition&direction=
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:46:52 AM by Steve H »

Steve H

Re: bleedin'bugger' naffing srx!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 01:33:58 PM »
Apparently its possible to get the rocker cover off without removing the engine from the frame, not sure about the head. To be honest I would drop it and get it on the bench to work on. It takes me around 2-3 hours to drop the engine, but I know others can do it quicker.
Waas it running when you bought it ?

levers

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 04:55:11 PM »
It was a non runner for ten years. I got it going before the rebuild, and all seemed to be ok but I had not run it for more than a couple of minutes. I have given it the once over, and it seems the oil is not from the gasket but from the tacho drive and a small bolt behind that. There are some small leaks from down below to add to my frustration! I'm sure it is only a few hours work, but time is not on my side EVER!
Plus the wife keeps nagging me about it.
Maybe it'll end up on ebay soon!
Thanks for the reply any way.
levers

martyn

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 05:03:58 PM »
I agree with Steve. I've just replaced my head gasket for the second time in 6 months, and it is easier working with it on the bench. This rebuild I helicoiled the barrel for the head bolts and had a good look at the new gasket as I believe the the previous one had a defect. [ a sharp metal edge had cut into the O ring on the oil feed to the head]. It is of course possible that I damaged the gasket myself during the previous rebuild. Good luck,Mart

Steve H

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 09:07:51 PM »
Mart, are you using genuine gaskets ?. They are expensive but as a rule better than any aftermarket ones I ve seen

themoudie

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 10:40:36 PM »
Have to agree with Steve,

Sally on the first run of note blew the right hand crankcase cover gasket at the 10:00 o'clock position where there is little mating surface width. This was despite the faces being checked for true on plate glass, cleaned with brake cleaner and using Honda gasket goop very sparingly with the gasket which was a 'pattern' article. The end result was a back tyre covered in oil and an interesting stop in Auchterarder, followed by a rescue job home!

At about 500miles despite a tourque down the cylinder head gasket, again a pattern job, started to weep from the front nearside, below the exhaust port. Nothing for it but a strip in the frame, yes, it is possible and not difficult. Remove the tank, carbs, exhaust, swing oil cooler out the way and suspend by string from handlebar. Replaced with a genuine gasket at ~ £27-00. Again clean everything off with brake cleaner, check for warping with a steel rule straight edge, re-assemble and torque to spec. Took her for a 20 mile jaunt and let cool overnight. Re-tourqued all bolts and those nuts under the front and back of the head. so far so good with 3000 miles added since.

Moral seems to be the usual " You pays the price and takes your pic!" Costs more for the gaskets than a 2nd hand motor off Ebay! However, having seen the contents of one of those, "Better the Devil etc".

Hope this helps, regards, Bill

martyn

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 09:39:46 AM »
Yes Steve, Genuine Yamaha gasket. I am thinking of sending the old one to Yam for their opinion but don't know if I can be bothered.

levers

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 11:10:13 AM »
It gets worse!
I took it out for a little run today, to try and establish how bad the leak is and from where, and now it leaks from every bleeding orrifice!
The gaskets from the center seem to have burst somehow, and the whoile thing is one oily mess.
I give up I really do.
has anyone had a recent engine rebuild so I can guage the cost?

Cheers
Levers

Steve H

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 12:46:40 PM »
Do you mean the joint that runs vertically through the bottom half of the engine, if so then there is no gasket. At a guess (and it is a guess) your looking at at £200-300 for labour plus the inevitable parts such as 5th gear and oil pump (£100).
Jethro might give you a better idea on labour costs.

andy230

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 02:39:06 PM »
Nothing for it but a strip in the frame, yes, it is possible and not difficult.

Ok then guys, I'm also just about to join the "SRX headstrip Club" with regard to the 620.  Bill, I don't really want to drop the motor, is it ok to do it in the frame??  Yes, I know I should get it out, but space is limited, as is time, and I'm working the back of a van!

Thus the fewer separate items I have the better!!  Can it be torqued ok in the frame or is it a complete faff?  (Especiially these nuts underneath??)  I'll use new bolts (hi comp motor).  And I'm only doing this job once, mark my words, so it will be genuine everything!  I don't think Martin Sweet would talk to me again otherwise!!!

:)

Cheers for now.  Good luck all.  I reckon ALL SRX owners should have a second bike.  And SRX racers should have a second motor!!

a

levers

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 03:24:42 PM »
I canlt cear to look at the pig at the moment, and I just don't have the time n or room to strip the bugger down, so it's on ebay unless I get a good replacement engine first.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&item=170014909671&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

themoudie

Re: bleedin'bugger' naffing srx! Andy230 reply in Techy, Bike Problems!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 09:13:51 PM »
Andy230 reply in Techy, Bike Problems!

Cheers, Bill

guest7

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 06:45:27 AM »
I canlt cear to look at the pig at the moment, (snip) so it's on ebay

"Any scammers, chancers or P*** takers will be shot."

Top man, that's the way to tell 'em :-)
GC

SteveL

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 08:25:00 AM »
I really musn't look at ebay, even less bid for your srx (so swmbo says!) but it's really tempting :-)
have/did you strip the engine as part of your rebuild?

levers

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 08:07:26 AM »
I did not really touch the engine other than service it, as it seemed fine at the time when I first ran it, but once a long run occurred so did the trouble.